In order to insure constructive use of the Kinderhook Memorial Library facilities, materials, and services, as well as the personal comfort of all patrons, the Board of Trustees has established the following rules for use:
- Patrons shall be engaged in activities associated with the use of a public library while in the building.
- Reasonable quiet is expected, especially in designated study areas. No patron may disturb others using the Library.
- Misconduct such as the use of foul or threatening language and gestures, public drunkenness, drug usage, sale or exchange of alcohol or drugs, persistent loud talking and laughing, running, pushing, and fighting, and other offensive behavior will result in expulsion from the building and suspension of library privileges.
- The Kinderhook Memorial Library assumes no responsibility for the care and supervision of children. Parents or caregivers must supervise the behavior of their children. Additionally, children under the age of 8 must be supervised at all times.
- Smoking, eating, and drinking must be done outside the library.
- Only animals assisting the handicapped are permitted in the building.
- Patrons shall not be permitted to enter the building without footwear or without a shirt or other covering of their upper bodies.
- Other unacceptable library behavior includes sleeping, staring, stalking, soliciting, loitering, littering, and damaging property.
- Patrons are encouraged to report disruptive individuals to the staff.
- Library materials must be returned on time and in good condition. Overdue materials deprive others in need of those materials.
- A library patron who deliberately alters a library computer database or destroys computer equipment will forfeit all library privileges and will be subject to financial liability for damages.
- A library patron who vandalizes, steals, or destroys any library materials, equipment or building components will forfeit all library privileges and will be subject to financial liability for damages.
Patron concerns should be brought to the attention of the Library Director.